Tuesday, September 13, 2011

COSTUME JEWELS...






Defined As; Costume jewelry came into being in the 1930s as a cheap, disposable accessory meant to be worn with a specific outfit. It was intended to be fashionable for a short period of time, outdate itself, and then be repurchased to fit with a new outfit or new fashion style. Its main use is in fashion, as opposed to "real" (fine) jewelry which may be regarded primarily as collectibles, keepsakes, or investments. Costume jewelry is made of less valuable materials including base metals, glass, plastic, and synthetic stones; in place of more valuable materials such as precious metals and gems. 


     Costume Jewelry designers: Chanel, Christian Dior, Kenneth Jay Lane, Adele Simpson, Carolee, Alexis Bittar, Lia Sophia and Michael Kors to name a few. 
   
    I sometimes think there is a stigma with costume jewelry that it's not "real" or expensive enough or the "You can tell it's fake" syndrome. I am here to turn the none believers around and show the costume lovers some cool new pieces. So, here's the scoop, costume jewelry is perfect! It's fashion forward, affordable, collectible and I swear I get more compliments on my costume pieces then I do my real pieces. It's not suppose to "look real" it's suppose to look unique, over the top and fun.  You can go a lot more crazy with your costume pieces...be eccentric that's the point. Also, my favorite part, if there is a fine piece of jewelry that is making a splash across the fashion world it is sure to be replicated for a fraction of the price. Wear it until it's "not cool" anymore and don't feel guilty! It's a win win.
    So enough talking Enjoy!! 


Rousselet for Chanel 1950


I love all the layers here. I think she is wearing about 15k worth of jewelry, so I decided to recreate it using the  costume pieces below. 


Carolee- gold toggle $125
I adore this chunky piece, it's a must have for any wardrobe.  In the picture it looks like she has two on similar to this.


Banana Republic $25.
It's great to mix your metals and materials. Leather with metal is hot.


Michael Kors $250
I am not sure what M. Kors did, but 3 years ago I feel like he total reinvented his brand for the better. I love everything he has come out with. This watch is no exception. 


M. Kors $65.




M. Kors $ 85
Mix the gold and silver to get the look from the photo. I swear she is wearing almost identical ones to these.
So with these pieces you can see how easy it is to get a 50 thousand dollar look for less then $600.  




Kenneth Jay Lane's book Faking It.




      
                                                                               

  CAROLEE "Founded in 1973 by Carolee Friedlander, the company began selling its costume pieces through a handful of department stores and a single storefront. It was acquired by Retail Brand Alliance in 2001. The company designs and distributes rings, necklaces, bracelets, and earrings to more than 700 US department stores, including Dillard'sLord & Taylor, and Macy's" Hoovers.com

Carolee $95.


Carolee $150


Carolee $150.




Carolee $48.


Carolee $55.






RALPH LAUREN










                            







 Banana Republic

       Banana has been following the "vintage look" trend for a little while and I think they are starting to get the hang of it. This fall they have some really greta pieces that are both well made and have a nice weight to them. They also brought their prices way down from when they began the jewelry line, something I am much happier about and more likely to buy.

Banana Republic $50


Banana Republic $45


Banana Republic $50





Rachel Zoe, who has been collecting costume jewelry since she was 18. She is the queen of wearing it correctly. So So great!!!


Rachel Zoe







RICH ROCKS




In 2007, Robin Rothfeld, founder of RichRocks Jewelry, realized there was a void in the market for affordable yet high quality fashion jewelry.  Leveraging her years of experience as a stylist and heading up visual merchandising and events at luxury brands including Gucci, David Yurman and Chopard, Rothfeld launched RichRocks as a fashion jewelry line with the goal of providing classic yet trendy, well designed pieces at reasonable prices. Everything is priced under $100. RROCKS.COM





Rich Rocks $95


Rich Rocks $90


Rich Rocks $55


Rich Rocks $100.









Add caption
Add caption
Add caption

House&Post


Some of my own collection.I adore vintage pins and search flea markets for unusual pieces.












House&Post


A few bracelets I tend to run to when I need a little sparkle. The gold cuff with purple stone is from The Summer House. The leather cuff I got off the streets in NYC for $8.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback!